martes, enero 27, 2004

Oscars

The nominations aren't quite as offensive as usual. I mean, forgiving the obvious. There are so many for City of God... Does the Best Director nomination have any sympathy for Katia Lund, co-director and Brown grad? Will the Best Adapted Screenplay nomination consider that author Paulo Lins told me I had a big nose? And if we're shocked and awed by favelados and nominating Cidade de Deus for Best Editing why why why wasn't the editing of archival footage in Bus 174 given a nod with a Best Documentary nomination? Particularly in lieu of nominating The Weather Underground, which looked and sounded like garbage. That's the worst, and that not a single actor from Lord of the Rings was nominated but Naomi Watts was for 21 Grams. I also wish Elephant and Raising Victor Vargas had been given some minor afterthought...

Yesterday I watched a polarfleece bedecked sensitive man hit on a girl by saying, in a deep and serious tone, that 21 Grams was "masterful" and, I kid you not, "history in the making." She was all like, "I'm waiting for my boyfriend..." I choked on my coffee.

No hay comentarios.: